Friday, September 16, 2011

Out of Town: Jean-Paul Gaultier at the MMFA

What better way to spend a Saturday than taking a day trip to Montreal?  I recently checked out the “Fashion World of Jean-Paul Gaultier: From Sidewalk to Catwalk” exhibition at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. 

Exhibitions at the MMFA are always so engaging and cutting edge.  This show is a wonderful glimpse into the crazy and glamorous world of haute couture that most of us regular folk never get to see, except maybe on TV.   

The installation features over 140 of Gaultier’s avant-garde pieces from the 1970’s to now.  With blaring music, talking mannequins and film clips, the exhibition is very theatrical and uses multimedia to keep the audience interested.  Some of the dresses show how many hours it took to create… you’ll be blown away!  My favourite was the leopard dress that, upon close inspection, is actually entirely beaded.

Jean-Paul Gaultier has said that he prefers Montreal to Paris because Montreal has the same French flare, but the people are less snobby, lol.  You can tell that he spent quite a lot of time working on this show with the MMFA curators.  Don’t miss it!  The exhibition is on until October 2, 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous24/5/13

    What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've discovered It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help other users like its helped me. Great job.

    Also visit my homepage :: bridalize.co.za

    ReplyDelete